Our firm recommends that each of our clients filing for bankruptcy obtain a credit report for the reasons listed below. If you are married, we recommend obtaining credit reports for both you and your spouse.
You can obtain a truly FREE credit report at AnnualCreditReport.com Any credit reporting service that requires you to enter credit card information is NOT free.
1. Obtaining a credit report helps us get accurate creditor names, addresses, types of debt, balances due and account numbers.
2. Through your credit report we may find creditors whom you have overlooked. It is important that we find out about all debts you owe.
3. Credit reports can alert us to judgments filed against you.
4. Credit reports can alert us to liens against your property.
5. We may find out about co-signers to some of your debts, which are important to list in a bankruptcy.
6. If you are married there may be surprising items on your credit report or your spouse’s and the reports can help us determine whether you should file individually or jointly.
7. We may find out about debts created by a former spouse who many have forged your signature to obtain credit.
8. Credit reports can alert us to mistakes on your credit record. This way you can contact the credit bureaus to correct any mistakes or provide updated information.
9. Credit reports often contain the names and addresses of collection agencies representing creditors and we can notify these collection agencies about the bankruptcy so that collection efforts stop.
10. If the IRS has a tax lien on your property the credit report will alert us so that it can be dealt with properly.
11. Knowing what is on your credit report can help you get credit approval for important purchases after your debts are discharged.
Not every creditor reports to a credit bureau so your credit report may not list all debts. You should let us know of any debts you are aware of so we can be a thorough as possible.